Sunday, May 15, 2005

Asleep at the switch... a word to the wise.

I wrote this a few minutes ago. It's pretty much self-explanatory. Just a word to the wise kind of thing.

Dear M,


I was asleep at the computer when you sent the following, which I just discovered upon returning to the computer after SWMBO woke me when she came home from working her overnight shift:


"MisM57192S: Good Morming Will
MisM57192S: Should I save all my pictures to disc??"


If you are asking about the photos you download from your camera to your computer, given my recent experience of losing all of my work from November to the end of April (500+ images and movies) then my unequivocal answer is YES!


I suggest you do as I now intend to do -- download off camera to the computer without deleting from the camera's chip the photos in question -- then make two CD-R/data disks, one of which has a slideshow-type of viewer on disk so the pictures may be viewed on any windoze machine, the other will have both the RAW-format as well as .JPG format pictures on it. If the pictures are really critical (for example, pictures taken under "studio conditions" of your corsets for use on the web site where you will sell your 'naughty nighties' and things) then a third data disk, stored offsite (say at Xxxx's house) along with your duplicate disk(s) of your business records.

Then and only then should you erase the photos from the chip.

I sincerely apologize, but I was overtaken by sleep sometime around 5:00 or so and everything after, until the boss woke me at 7:30, is a dream.

w.

No comments: