Wednesday, February 08, 2006

MEME: Tuesday Two - Episode 17



Last week, I had people saying "Cheese" on the topic of photography. Tonight, that cheese is still being put to good use...in the kitchen!

For those who have never played, the rules are simple: I offer two different questions, both related to the same topic, but you only choose one of them to actually answer.

Last week, Babs of " Independent Single Professional Female in the Buckle of the Bible Belt. YEE-Haa!!" pulled off a three-peat, being the first to answer last week's question for the third week in a row! Congratulations again, Babs!

Now, onto this week's choice of questions. And remember: don't answer both questions!


THIS WEEK'S TOPIC: COOKING

QUESTION A:
How much of the cooking do you do in your home, and would you like to do more, less, or keep things as they are?

or

QUESTION B:
When you cook, do you follow recipes as strictly as the person whom you learned cooking from did, and why or why not?

Choose A or B, (indicate which question you're answering!) then either answer the question in a comment or answer it in your journal and include the link in a comment. (To be considered "first to play," a link must be to the specific entry in which you answered the question.)

Remember: choose one or the other...not both!



I chose Question B:

I cook by the seat of my pants, using recipes as a guide, except when certain critical proportions are involved (ratios of water to grains, for instance). I learned some of my cooking skills from my family and some in commercial kitchens. My mother, always an uneasy hand in the kitchen, was a slave to recipes and measurements. Her cooking was adequate, but uninspired. My father was a dab hand and often could be found “winging it.” His was an inspired cookery. He learned at his mother's side, she a graduate of the Fanny Farmer School of Cooking. She was consistently good, but like the nursery rhyme, “when she was bad, she was horrid!” I learned the “how's and why's” of cooking from her. I learned the art of cuisine from several cooks and one chef I worked under in my twenties. My cooking is quixotic and eclectic, often very good when I'm “on” and rather dreadful when I'm not (the reason I didn't pursue advanced training at the CIA).


Want to participate? Go to Patrick's Weekender every Tuesday to get the questions, make your choice and answer in your own blog or journal, leaving a link in the comments there to your answer. Haven't got a blog? Click on the “Get Your Own Blog” button at the top of this window and sign up for a free Blogspot page of your own. It's that easy and expeditious and you don't even need powdered milk biscuits to do it.

No comments: