Sunday, August 15, 2004

'A Bit of Music'

It appears that The Sunday Brunch is like most things in the western world in the month of August: on vacation. So I'm substituting the Weekly Bit this week as fodder for the Snooze.

Nothing much happening at home to write about. SWMBO is recovering from four, 12-hour workdays in 90°+ temps on the skilled unit (no airconditioning) by sleeping through the Olympics on the couch. The see-saw weather of lows and rain one day, followed by overcast the next, has put me into eight-hours-a-day sleep mode. That's practically unheard of since my surgery.

So this week's meme for Sunday is about music. Copy the questions for yourself and post a link here and over at the weekly bits, too.


'A Bit of Music'

1. What kind of music do you listen to? Mostly, a mix of jazz, blues, new age, bluegrass and classical, with a little classic rock from the sixties and seventies mixed in.

2. Who is your favorite music artist? If we are talking an individual, then it is a toss-up between Leonard Cohen and Willy Nelson, with Lyle Lovett a close second. If we mean group, then Jethro Tull holds that place in my heart, while my favorite female artist is Joni Mitchell.

3. How has your taste in music changed over the years? For a long time when a teenager, folk music dominated my life. Then came rock, particularly the acid rock of the late 60's / early 70's. Perhaps in reaction to all that noise, from the mid-70's through the 90's I listened to classical music most often, with jazz a staple late night companion. Now its an eclectic mix, when I listen at all. Silence has become something I appreciate more and more.

4. What is your favorite song? "Spring of '65" by the Holy Modal Rounders (Rounder Records, I think).

5. What song do you think is just plain annoying? Sadly, I'm just not into Rap or Hip-Hop. From where I sit, rocking in my chair on the sun porch of life, they're just plain wrong... all of them.

extra...
If you could write a song about your life what would you title it? What style of music would it be? country? rap? ballad? etc. How about "The Ballad of a Quiet Man," written by Leonard Cohen and covered by Willy Nelson in that inimitatable 'Texas Twang' and steel string guitar picking, with Joni Mitchell and Nora Jones doing the chorous?

That's the news from La Casa del Locos, where all the grandchildren are exceptional, and the sex is a non-stop delight.

Have a good week, folks, and remember: be careful out there... the life you save may be your own.


No comments: