Friday, January 28, 2005

Cold Toesies and other matters...

I recently had an email from a long-time personal friend in Vermont, relating how her eldest son, nearly an adult, had developed significant frostbite in all 10 toes as aresult of being a teenager, ie. wearing sneakers outdoors to wait for the school bus in the dead of winter.  In so much as this morning's temperature when I drove my sneaker-clad wife to work was -19ºF, I just had to twist my friend's tailfeathers. And what do you know, I don't need to make up a blog entry today. Enjoy...

Sorry to hear "it" has developed frostbite.  My sincere sympathies to him as the pain will be excruciating. And sympathies to you, too.  We've all known you were a horrible mother, more interested in herself than her children! How else can one explain allowing your first-born to stand for hours by the roadside, chatting up the other kids while wearing just a cotton t-shirt and jean jacket, jeans and, yes, sneakers, while all the other kids hang warm and dry in their Northface parkas, Mountain Pants and Sherpa boots? Shameful!! I can hear the biddies up at the store now...
 
Just kidding. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt AND bought the farm. No need to protest that I have it all wrong, I know you aren't to blame... it's your EX-HUSBAND's FAULT! Yep, that's the ticket. He's to blame and you oughta make him pay! LMAO... as if.
 
My wife recovered enough from her knee surgery to return to work on Wednesday. She is in a tremendous amount of pain with it, more than before the operation, but the orthopod says nothing much else can be done at this point save some pretty lethal injections, which she will try to get approval for from the Workman's Comp insurance company. Sadly, they may argue it is all because of a deteriorating joint from Osteoarthritis and refuse further coverage. We will see. Meanwhile, my brother starts a round of chemo next week to try to bring his bladder cancer into remission. Rather than describing it myself, here he is, in his own words:

 

Hi there,

 

I figured you'd want to know that I'm starting a 6 week course of immunotherapy: BCG or Bacillus of Calmette and Guerin, is an attenuated, live culture preparation of Mycobacterium bovis. It is approved for intravesical or percutaneous use. It is commonly used for bladder cancer patients and has the best results of all the intravesical chemotherapeutics. The freeze-dried BCG prep is delivered to the bladder by instillation through a foley catheter.

 

Translation: they fill up the bladder with a live Tuberculosis culture and have you lie on stomach, back, and sides app. 15 min each and then hold it for another hour.  Consider yourself a biohazard for 6+ hours afterwards.  After urinating, pour an equal amount of undiluted bleach in toilet and let it sit for 30 minutes, as well as disinfecting self.  The process is done in the doctor's office 1 a week for 6 weeks.

 

Side effects, in order of decreasing frequency: dysuria(burning with urination), urinary frequency, hematuria (blood in urine), cystitis(bladder infection), urgency, nocturia, cramps/pain, urinary incontinence, urinary debris, genital inflammation, UTI, urethritis, and several other all less than 1% of patients.  Other systemic symptoms include; flu-like symptoms, fever, malaise/fatigue, shaking chills and nausea vomiting.

Oh, what fun!


 
That's all the news. I'm hanging in there, but I have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel, I can see Hell from here and it is populated by a bunch of folks I just as soon not spend eternity with, or a weekend in Philadelphia, for that matter. Keep the greasy side down and watch your step - them banana peels is everywhere!
 
wil

No comments: