Saturday, January 29, 2005

Weekend Assignment #45: Karaoke Time

John Scalzi puts you to the test once more, so limber up your windpipes, boys and girls, because this week's Weekend Assignment is getting musical:

Weekend Assignment #45: It's karaoke time. Pick a song to sing and explain why you chose it.
Note that not everyone sings the song you expect them to sing: I remember being at a karaoke bar one time and watching a six-foot bald guy with a gravely voice and a tattoo on his neck sing Olivia Newton John's "Have You Never Been Mellow?" And it was brilliant. So by all means, reach for the stars here. This isn't American Idol.

Extra Credit:
Recall the worst karaoke performance you ever heard (or, if you're brave, ever performed). You can change the names to protect the guilty if you like.

Dear John,

I've never been one for singing in public. I just haven't got the voice for it. Sadly, I have perfect pitch (hearing) but can't carry a tune or stay on key -- listening to myself sing is sheer agony these days.

Oddly enough, it wasn't always this way. Back when I was entering puberty it was the height of the folk music revival and I was a "Gut Bucket Bass" player in a jug band -- sort of a bluegrass band on moonshine. We sang covers of many of the traditional songs of the day. "Weary Traveler," "Where have all the flowers gone," "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot," "Other side of the mountain," "Mariah" -- they've all tumbled from my lips at one time or another, on stage, in front of live audiences. Such naiveté!

Flash forward about 30 years. No longer singing in public, I find myself at an AOL members party at a Karaoke bar. It'd been at least 7 years since I stopped drinking, so I can't blame the Devil and Jack Daniels. My turn came up and I regaled the crowd with "Mariah" ... flat. Off-key. Absolutely, excruciating for all listeners. I was booed from the stage in disgrace, it was so bad.

I've never been to another AOL party nor taken a turn at the microphone of a karaoke machine. Never again. Although, there's this tune by the Holy Modal Rounders named "Spring of '65" I might be tempted to try if I ever take up booze again...

Take good care of Kristin and Athena and behave yourself.  I'm loving "Old Man's War" and recommend it often to acquaintances. Here's hoping that produces a few sales, or forces the library to pick up a copy.

See you later, 'gator.

wil

No comments: