Saturday, February 12, 2005

Weekend Assignment #47 -- The Teenage Crush!

AOL Journals' Blogfather, John Scalzi, offers up a little meme each week to help keep the creative juices flowing. Here for your entertainment is this week's installment:

Weekend Assignment #47: Reveal Your Teenage Celebrity Crush! Oh, come on. We all had one. Share yours, and tell us why that particularly celebrity tripped your teenage trigger.

Extra Credit:
Tell us: Do you still have a little teeny bit of a crush on that celebrity? Yes? No? Maybe so?

Dear John,

I finished "Old Man's War" this week and look forward to the sequel. You did a nice job with it and I am pleased to have read it.

During most of my teen years I went to an all-male school, lived in an all-male family and rarely saw television or movies. This obviously affected how I viewed women - I tended to put them on a pedestal (still do) and worshipped from afar. I think my biggest "crushes" -- if they can truly be called that -- focused on Nancy Sinatra, Peggy Lipton and Michele Phillips. Oddly enough, most of the women that I dated in high school and college were of the willowy blonde appearance, too. My first wife fit that description when I first met her. In fact, that "look" does it for me today, too.

I suppose I am genetically programed to seek out women who look that way, due to the fact that my mother was the proverbial blonde-haired "five foot two, eyes of blue" having something to do with it. But truth be told, I wouldn't consider my lust for leggy, blonde, A-cup warblers to be "crushes" as I understand and have experienced the term. I've had crushes over real people, simply inaccessible. But they weren't celebrities. And there's no way on this little green and blue ball of mud that I would reveal who they might have been, if only to protect the innocent.

Anyway, I have upwards of 18" of snow to shovel in the morning if I'm going to get my wife to work tomorrow, so I'm going to knock off now and make some supper and turn in early. Four AM comes all too quickly. As always, give our best to your better halves. Don't forget the impending Valentine's Day, if you want Krissy and Athena to continue talking to you.

Grins and giggles,

wil

P.S. Saw Terry Garr on "What's My Line" this morning on WE (don't ask) and am reminded what a super-hot babe I found her to be in the sixties and early seventies. I guess I did have a few Celebrity Crushes, after all. And for the record, I'd gladly spend time playing 'find the love monkey' with Terry if Stockard Channing was busy.

P.P.S. She Who Must Be Obeyed (SWMBO) awoke with a migraine and called in sick Friday morning, postponing the inevitable clash with the white stuff. At midnight Friday night, we had 24" and it was just ending ... but the winds are building and the drifting will start in earnest any time now. Willow the Wunderhund refuses to go out as her feet can't touch the ground so she can't even hop around trying to make a suitable hole in the snow to squat in. I don't look forward to shoveling tomorrow.

No comments: