Thursday, February 01, 2007

John M. Scalzi's Weekend Assignment #150 (or, CL): Your First Super Bowl



Rumor has it there's some athletic event of national interest this weekend, although for the life of me I just can't remember what it might be called. Oh, wait, let me look at that banner I just stole from AOL Sports. That's right, the "Super Bowl." Well, I'm sure it will be very exciting for those folks who enjoy that obscure rugby derivative known as "Football," and to celebrate the occasion, I've decided to make this "Super Bowl" the subject of this week's Weekend Assignment:

Weekend Assignment: Share your memories of the first Super Bowl game you remember seeing. Which is to say, the first one you had an actual interest in -- Super Bowls playing in the background while you faced away from the TV and read a book or something don't count. If you remember watching one but don't remember quite the year, here's a list of the Super Bowls to date to assist your memory (click on the particular game to a full description of the game).

Those of you in Canada, the UK and elsewhere can substitute your own massively nationally important annual sporting event in the stead of the Super Bowl if, in fact, you have no Super Bowl memories. I mean, I'm sure there were some rockin' Grey Cup games.

Extra credit: So, ever been to a Super Bowl game?

Dear John,

Let's dispense with the Extra Credit first. Nope, I've never been to a Super Bowl.

In fact, I've never watched a Super Bowl all the way through, to the best of my memory. Sometimes, I'll tune in for the commercials. Mostly, I read books, watch tapes/DVD's or muck about on the computer. Super Bowls really don't interest me. You see, I really don't care about football. I do recall that I kept the first New England Patriots game on the television in the other room, but I didn't watch more than ten or fifteen minutes of it. But truly, I can't recall having an interest in the games at all. Ever.

Sorry about that, Chief. This one is a non-starter for me. Take care of Krissy and Athena. I do hope you have a good “Super Sunday.”

wil

No comments: