Monday, September 01, 2003

It's The Zoning Administrator's Fault I'm Fat...

It's The Zoning Administrator's Fault I'm Fat...that is, if you believe the results of some seminal research published a couple of days ago in the American Journal of Public Health and the American Journal of Health Promotion. All is revealed in this Associated Press article by Lauran Neergaard. Here's a link to the full article: http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/nation/6643541.htm

This is something I was harping on as early as 1978 in my first Planning Board position. Although, I was clearly barking up the wrong tree in this town of ultra-sprawled destruction. And, as I think about it, I have been booed and naysayed on the issue of making subdivisions pedestrian-friendly ever since.

Frankly, until there is a radical shift in the average home buyer's thinking regarding the desireability of walking hither and yon, there'll be no incentive for developers around here to include provisions and features, such as sidewalks, bikepaths and other forms of trails within their developments. Here it is the marketplace which rules and all of us take the hindmost when it comes to what developers are willing to do. So, plan on another 6.3 pounds per person in your family and run right out and buy that treadmill you'll never use after the first week of boredom. Come join me on the couch - we'll watch our arteries harden in the reflection in the TV screen.

No comments: