Saturday, June 17, 2006

John Scalzi's Weekend Assignment #116: The Things We Share With Dad

John Scalzi's Weekend Assignment #116: The Things We Share With Dad

Whoa, Father's Day is this Sunday -- And I am so looking forward to my tie! -- and so let's make this a Father's Day-themed Weekend Assignment:

Weekend Assignment #116: Tell about some personality trait or quirk you got from your father -- or, if you're a father, some personality trait or quirk of yours you see in your kids.

Extra credit: Did you ever get dad a tie for Father's Day?



I obtained my facility with words, such as it is, from my father. My snoring, loud enough to wake an entire floor in a motel (really), was a gift of my pater. I am, much to my chagrin, just as much of a political troglodyte as he was. My iron will and integrity come from him, too. The ability to kill other humans in cold blood comes from my mother and her Irish ancestors...


While I gave my father some ties back in the day, some of which I wear proudly now, they were more often reserved for his birthday which fell a week after Father's Day. This Hallmark greeting day was reserved for gag jokes. Whoopee cushions, joy buzzers, rubber chickens and the like made their appearances on this day. Often, in our teen years, my brothers and I would cook up some cockamamie skit to entertain him. Generally, the old man would sleep in and we'd sit down to a big brunch prepared by yours truly and my kitchen minions, the gruesome twosome siblings.


Regardless, I miss the old bastard and wish he was still here to annoy the crap out of me...

No comments: