Monday, March 12, 2007

Monday Music Mambo -- Albumology

Rfduck halts his celebratory “March Madness” and “Oregon Won” dance to say, “Aloha! Once again, I don't like the given theme for the day, so I'll make up my own. Today we'll talk about album structure and sequence.”

Before answering Rfduck's questions below, I just want to say that I've never given these matters any thought until now. It just wasn't one of those things that concerned me, as I have no intention of producing an album nor any reason to be more than an active consumer of music. I am rather fond of classical forms. I like the fact that there is most often an overture to an opera, so you may familiarize yourself with the theme(s) and melodies of the tunes to come. It's also why I like Mozart's symphonies and his use of the reprise – it brings it all to a logical and often emotionally satisfying close. Rarely have I seen these forms employed in popular and rock music with some notable exceptions, such as Jesus Christ, Superstar, Hair! , Tommy, The Wall, Days of Future Passed, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and the Beatles' White Album.

1. What's your favorite album-opening song?
That's a toughie. I think George Martin did it right with his 1998 album of remade Beatles tunes entitled In My Life by starting off with Robin Williams singing “Come Together.”
2. What's your favorite album-closing song?
The Moody Blues' "Nights In White Satin" / "Late Lament" on the previously cited Days of Future Passed album. Although, it's really hard to pass up citing the closing orchestral piece of Jesus Christ, Superstar, "John 19:41." (According to the Wikipedia entry, “The title is a reference to a verse in the Bible about Jesus being laid in the tomb (Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden; and in the garden a new sepulchre, wherein was never man yet laid John 19:41”) Here, after the high energy of the title song followed by the angst of The Crucifixion, the final orchestral closing is just so appropriate a close.
3. What's your favorite one-two-three punch of album-opening singles?
There's too many to think about. Truly. For sake of an answer, one need only hearken to the three lead-off songs on the Sgt. Pepper album, "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", "With a Little Help From My Friends"& "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds". That's quite the successful triad.
4. How many songs do you think an album should have? Finally, an easy answer. Sixteen.

No comments: