Thursday, July 21, 2005

Caught (Red-Faced) In The Act

I never thought I'd find myself saying this. It's just so out of character, you know? I'm embarrassed to even admit it. I read the New York Times online on occasion. There, I said it and lightning didn't strike me or my computer dead. Whew!

I was looking for some information and saw a reference to an article in passing on another blog, so I logged in to the NY Times (registration required – it's free). This time, I wanted some background on John G. Roberts, Dubya's nominee to replace Sandra Day O'Connor on the Supreme Court of the United States.

So I logged on and immediately found this article detailing the Judge's family, education and work history along with numerous quotes from friends, colleagues and even a foe or two. What surprised me the most was the even-handed reporting. This isn't the strident hatchet job one has come to expect from the NYT. I highly recommend the article to you, even if you consider yourself, as I do, somewhere to the right of Atilla the Hun.

I came away feeling like I can support this man, even though we disagree violently on matters of religion and separation of church and state. If those left-wing liberal lug nuts at the Times are to be believed, he's an old school conservative with none of the neo-con, lunatic fringe religious nut about him. Yes, his Catholic upbringing and demonstrably continuing deeply held faith will (obviously) influence his personal feelings about abortion. Having read this article, I am not convinced that Roe v. Wade will be the litmus test that so many fear or hope it will be for Judge Roberts. I can see him rendering opinions that clash with his personal, deeply held religious views. Not gladly, but with a deeply held respect for the law and our Constitution.

Isn't that all we can ever ask of a nominee to the Supreme Court?

No comments: