Friday, July 15, 2005

MEME: Friday Feast

Feast Fifty-Five

Friday, July 15, 2005

Appetizer
What is your middle name? Would you change any of your names if you could? If so, what would you like to be called?
Not a good idea to give out middle names these days ... I can't stand the ridicule when people learn it is Aloysius. Oops! I often wish I had a more, shall we say, plebian middle moniker. Harry, Ralph, or perhaps, Herod.

Soup

If you were a fashion designer, which fabrics, colors, and styles would you probably use the most?
Le soup course will be a cold tomato bisque, made with creme freiche and organic pom d' terre's as the thickeners on a bed of Roma corduroy Dried tomato Chips, served a la carte in the Basque Bernaise style...

Salad

What is your least favorite chore, and why?
Washing dishes... because I am the cook and I've already spent more than enough time in the kitchen preparing the meal.

Main Course

What is something that really frightens you, and can you trace it back to an event in your life?
Hurricanes -- I can remember looking out over the Delaware River Valley overlooking the New Hope, PA and Lambertville, NJ area in 1955. We were in the middle of moving. All that could be seen was the roofs of buildings and water. Trees the size of semis were careening down the river to batter the bridge, torn from the saturated soil by the winds that had accompanied the storm. Thousands were temporarily homeless and, because we were moving and I was feeling as uprooted as those oaks and chestnuts I'd seen, I have always associated hurricanes with catastrophic loss and chaos.

Dessert

Where are you sitting right now? Name 3 things you can see at this moment.
I'm at my desk in the office/library/computer room/sock-drying room. I can see all of the things implied by that appellation, including lines of socks hanging near the ceiling where they were placed to dry. Books flank me on either side on floor-to-ceiling shelves, perhaps a thousand in this room alone. I see a space that the ladies on that TV show that attacks clutter would throw up their hands in total disgust over and walk off the set. Of course, the main attraction for me in here is the machines that make it possible to be here in cyberspace. Computers, cables, phones, wireless routers and DSL gateways, modems and CD's and the other paraphernalia that fill the space of a computer geek since the first S-100 CP/M based personal computers arrived on the scene in the early eighties at La Casa dementia.

No comments: