Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Free Music Or, Perhaps, 'Music You've Paid For But Mayhaps Forgot About'

If you're a DirecTV subscriber and have MusicChoice®, they've got two great (IMNSHO¹) FreeView Concerts: Neil Young and Sarah Brightman. I first saw Neil's concert on Labor Day weekend and it blew me away. This is a master singer-songwriter at his best... and his best is damn fine. I wish I had a tenth of his talent. And I am pretty sure I can say you've never heard these songs before. He has created a tryptch or pastiche - a storyline carried through about 15 songs. Other than a small series of songs about a Roadie that he wrote in the 70's, Neil hasn't done anything like this. Aside from buying the album, "Greendale", the only place you can hear these tunes and see them performed is on DirecTV so hear them while you can. Learn all about the lives of Summer Green, Earth Brown, Jed, Grandpa and Grannie, Edith and Earl in Greendale. Then visit Neil's website -- whole sections are devoted to Greendale. It's a hoot but no hollering - just some special "megaphone" effects. Be The Rain!

"Hey Mr. Clean -- You're Dirty Now, Too" is an amazingly prescient indictment of George W. and his Energy policies.

Sarah Brightman - what can I add to an already overflowing cornacopea of compliments? For those of us who had parents that played Broadway Show Tunes the way I blasted Jethro Tull at my children, well, this is a most pleasant bit of nostalgia. Even finer is the quality of Ms. Brightman's voice. Check it out for yourself.

¹ In My Not So Humble Opinion