Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Tuesday Two - Episode 18



Valentine's Day is a perfect time to surprise that special someone in your life. But how do you feel about being surprised? There's your topic for this week.

For those who have never played, the rules are simple: I offer two different questions, both related to the same topic, but you only choose one of them to actually answer.

Babs of " Independent Single Professional Female in the Buckle of the Bible Belt. YEE-Haa!! " may be the queen of the Tuesday Two! She's managed to pull off a feat that no one else has ever done on any of my weekly memes, as far as I can recall: last week, for the fourth time in a row, she was first to play! Congratulations again, Babs!

Can she make it five?

Now, onto this week's choice of questions. And remember: don't answer both questions!


THIS WEEK'S TOPIC: SURPRISES

QUESTION A:
When was the last time you were genuinely surprised (pleasantly) by a loved one, as in a gift or party or something similar that you weren't expecting at all?

or

QUESTION B:
As a general rule, do you like surprise parties or do you prefer notice, and how did you arrive at this decision?

Choose A or B, (indicate which question you're answering!) then either answer the question in a comment here or answer it in your journal and include the link in a comment here. (To be considered "first to play," a link must be to the specific entry in which you answered the question.)

Remember: choose one or the other...not both!



This week I'll be answering “Question B.”

As a general rule, I don't like surprises of any sort. In my life, at least, “surprise” has been synonymous with “very bad news.” My mother's death when I was 15 was a “surprise” as were both of my grandmother's deaths several years later and my father's death by heart attack in 1977.

Surprise” was receipt of my draft card and notice to appear for the intake physical on the same day.

Surprise” was the phone call from an EMT in Elkins, West Virginia informing me that my brother and father had rolled off a mountain just outside of town and plunged over a hundred feet into a ravine. Oh, and they were in hospital, of course.

Surprise” was reaching for a hand hold while rock climbing in Yosemite N.P. and latching on to the ass end of a rattle snake.

Surprise” was stopping for a motorist executing a left-hand turn in front of me ... and being passed so close by an impatient driver behind me that he tore off the entire left rear quarter of my car by hooking his mirror on my gas cap!

There have been many more “surprises” in my life, but I suspect you have the gist of my complaint about “surprises.”

They suck the hairy wazoo on overdrive.

So no, make mine a planned for party with a guest list of known individuals I can run through the SBI databases.

Because I hate surprises. And I hate having to shoot guests...



No comments: