Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Computers - Software: Talk To The Hand

“It always struck me as quite ironic that I can search the Internet faster than my own hard drive, and that the results of a Google search are always so much easier to understand, as opposed to a huge list of filenames that I need to sort through....” says Dave Collins, one of the pundits at Lockergnome.

There were over 50,000 files on this machine the last time I noted such things. But which one has the recipe for SWMBO’s maw-maw’s King Kake? (Answer: none. The wife doesn’t cook. It’s just an example. Carry on as you were)

The advent of longer filename strings in Windoze has made it somewhat easier. Instead of the 8.3 / filename.ext DOS convention, say “TGMKCAKE.TXT” you can now have “THE WIFES GRANDMOTHERS KING KAKE RECIPE.TXT”.

OK. Now, try to find that on a hard drive with 50M files. Oh, and make it the one with anise, not the one with raisins - SWMBO loathes raisins.

Enter Filehand Search v2.0. Dave Collins can’t praise it enough in his September 10 article describing the new release.

All I can add to the discussion is I have used Filehand for longer than I can remember and I would be lost without it. Try it -- it’s donationware without nag screens or annoying popups. Its fast, thorough and what the “Find” utility in Windows should have been.

For Windows 2000 and Windows XP only. Not available for Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 98se or ME.

SWMBO= She Who Must Be Obeyed

No comments: