Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Monday Madness - Labor


Well, Otto's mom offers up the questions for consideration this week. Sad to say, my answers do absolutely nothing to dispel those Monday Blues on a Tuesday. But then again, for those who had Labor Day off, this is your Monday. And there's nothing much in the workplace worse than two Mondays, is there?

You can get your own personal copy of the questions over at Otto's web site or by clicking the button below. Don't forget to post a comment at Otto's site with a link back to yours. My answers are in red. Your mileage will vary.





1. Please tell us a little bit about your job (or your classes).

I'll tell you about my old job as I am not working now. I was a glorified building inspector -- a one man band for a small community. I did all enforcement of local ordinances, all building, plumbing, electrical, mechanical and fire safety inspections. In addition I was liaison for the local Planning Board, serving as its paid planner, the local Zoning Board of Appeals and whatever committees I was dumped on over the years.

2. Do you enjoy your job?

Yes, for the most part. I didn't like making decisions that would put someone out of their home or in front of a judge.

3. What would make your job more satisfying for you?

Help. During the nine years in the community I worked for, I presided over nearly 50 million dollars of construction and infrastructure development, processed and reviewed close to 2000 building permits, including construction of more than 180 homes. I had a part-time plumbing inspector and some secretarial help from the clerks out front, if they could manage it. The rest I did myself.

4. Name one thing you don't like about your job.

The lack of a social life. I routinely worked 18 hour days. I grew fat and out of shape. I literally lived and breathed my job, rather than my life. I burned out and my health reflects that.

5. Do you feel you are compensated adequately for what you do?

No. We are talking local government. Compensation stunk.

6. Any thoughts on social security and health benefits?

Frankly, if we, through our collective effort as a nation, cannot provide cost-effective health care then the time has come to mandate that employers provide it. As a nation we have no excuse for over 45 million residents to be without insurance other than laziness and temerity. It may cost us a few bombers and ships, but they are becoming less and less important in the new global war on terrorism. It is a conundrum as to how we will fund Social Security, however. I suspect that one of these days, a moderate Democrat or Republican administration will grab that colossal bull by the horns, freeze COLA increases to start and eventually adjust the method of figuring the COLA to the point where an SRO (single room occupancy - like an old-style boarding house, you rent a room and share bathing and cooking facilities), bread, water andpharmaceuticals will be all you can afford on Social Security retirement benefits. The economic realities of BOSWASH, California, Chicago and most costal areas of this nation are such that we are there already in those places.

7. What are your thoughts on the current minimum wage?

It is a joke. It fails the intended purpose.

8. What kind of advice do you (or would you) give your children regarding their future and their career choices?

If you are professional or semiprofessional, you will have a minimum of three careers in your lifetime. There is no longer any purpose or value to thinking the "company" will provide for you so no company loyalty is required. Do something that makes you happy, that engages your mind and your heart. Never stop learning for learning truly is a lifelong process. As to what to get into? Over half the professional and technical jobs were unheard of just twenty years ago -- I'm not that good at prognosticating the far future. So find what interests you now and go for it. Except in very rare instances, college or trade school will be required for entry level positions. Truly, if this nation is going to turn its fortunes around from the current downhill slide, sixteen year education provided by us, the government, will be mandatory -- there's too much to learn to think it can be done in twelve years.

9. What is your 'dream job?'

A job that can be done from my home at hours of my choosing. I rarely go more than four hours without falling asleep, so I need to be able to put the work down and resume when I awaken. There are damn few jobs in this world that even brush the neighborhood of that description. Fifty years ago, I'd have been dead by now, so I have that to be thankful for.

10. At what age will you be (or were you) able to retire?

Sadly, I am involuntarily retired already -- just not eligible for a pension or disability. Assuming I will be able to go back to work someday, I will work until I die -- it is highly unlikely I'll ever see a drop of Social Security. While your life expectancy as a middle-aged adult might be late seventies, mine is sixty -- if I am very lucky. It's just the way things go.

1 comment:

Nat said...

Hi Wil. I'm sorry you're out of work. Your answers are very good and so so true. It is a sad situation; the state of employment (or lack thereof) in this country. AND SS and health benefits are certainly not anything we can count on anymore. I wish you luck in your search for employment; I hope one day (soon) your dream job will become a reality. Thank you for answering this week's MM questions. ~Otto