Saturday, June 25, 2005

SATURDAY SIX – Episode 63

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Cat's in the Cradle
by Sandy & Harry Chapin
©1975, 2003

My child arrived just the other day
He came to the world in the usual way
But there were planes to catch and bills to pay
He learned to walk while I was away
And he was talkin' 'fore I knew it, and as he grew
He'd say "I'm gonna be like you dad
You know I'm gonna be like you"

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
When you comin' home dad?
I don't know when, but we'll get together then son
You know we'll have a good time then

My son turned ten just the other day
He said, "Thanks for the ball, Dad, come on let's play
Can you teach me to throw", I said "Not today
I got a lot to do", he said, "That's ok"
And he walked away but his smile never dimmed
And said, "I'm gonna be like him, yeah
You know I'm gonna be like him"
And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
When you comin' home son?
I don't know when, but we'll get together then son
You know we'll have a good time then

Well, he came home from college just the other day
So much like a man I just had to say
"Son, I'm proud of you, can you sit for a while?"
He shook his head and said with a smile
"What I'd really like, Dad, is to borrow the car keys
See you later, can I have them please?"

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
When you comin' home son?
I don't know when, but we'll get together then son
You know we'll have a good time then

I've long since retired, my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day
I said, "I'd like to see you if you don't mind"
He said, "I'd love to, Dad, if I can find the time
You see my new job's a hassle and kids have the flu
But it's sure nice talking to you, Dad
It's been sure nice talking to you"

And as I hung up the phone it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me
My boy was just like me

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
When you comin' home son?
I don't know when, but we'll get together then son
You know we'll have a good time then

    Each week, Patrick asks me six questions. Each week, I strain the twelve synapses I have left and answer. I hope it entertains - I have a headache. Oh yeah - get your own bloody set of questions and leave a link to your answers here.

    1. Yesterday, I linked to the journal "Mall Of America," a collection of photos from shopping malls of the 1960s and 1970s. What store do you associate most with your childhood in terms of happy memories and why? Is the store still around?

    I remember the Acme Market in Cross Keys, PA. I suppose because it was the source of most of our food when I was small.

    2. What song makes you the most emotional and why?

    I think it's called “Cat's In The Cradle” by Harry and Sandy Chapin. Ever since first hearing it thirty years ago, it has been a cautionary tale to one prone to leave things until tomorrow. Stupidly enough, I did and it cost me dearly.

    3. Take the quiz: What year were you born under, and what year should you have been born under?

    According to the quiz it goes Tiger -> Horse.

    4. What time do you typically wake up each day? What is the latest you're normally able to sleep? How many hours of sleep do you get in an average night?

    a. 12:30PM, b. 1:30PM, c. 3.7 hours is the current average over the previous 24 month period; recent changes to meds and CPAP machine have resulted in an average of 6.3 hours, but only sleeping 4 to 5 nights a week, so the average is still around 3.7.

    5. What frightens you the most about getting older?

    Being forced by downturns in my health to become a ward of the state and enter a nursing home. Make no mistake, folks – there is no going home from a long-term care nursing home for 99% of the residents.

    6. READER'S CHOICE QUESTION #56 from Debi: If you found the house of your dreams, right price, then discovered that a murder or suicide had taken place in the house, would you still consider buying the house?

    Don't be silly ... of course I'd buy it! Jeezum crow...

    It's hot and muggy, by my standards. 91°F at 11AM, 48% humidity. Air conditioners are on full. Hate to think what the electric bill will look like for the next ten to 20 days – they are forecasting temps in the 90's for at least that long. Keep in mind, we hadn't gotten over 74°F (and most of the time it was in the 50's and 60's) for the first three weeks of June. Hey, Mother Nature – that's a helluva way to run a railroad, y'know?

    Stay cool, use a strong sun screen and have a super weekend, buckaroos.


No comments: