Monday, May 15, 2006

"I Cannot Tell A Lie" --George Washington

RECAP: John Scalzi's Weekend Assignment #111: Two Out of Three

The assignment was to state three “facts” about myself, all plausible, but only two true. I did that here. Below, you have the revelation as to which was true and which was false.

  1. Once upon a time, I was a Boy Scout... TRUE

  2. I used to work as an oiler on an LCT ferry that plied the waters of Lake Champlain between Burlington, Vermont and Port Kent, New York (or, as I used to think of it, “a hundred miles a day going nowhere”). This part is TRUE.

    One day, I was polishing brass in the forward engine room of the MV Valcour while the Chief Engineer was in the stern. The Master became distracted by the ministrations of a cute, female deck hand and ran the vessel aground in the middle of the Lake, opening up a tear in the forward hull which spanned the bulkhead between the steering gear room and the engine room. The water filled the engine room so fast I had to swim to safety. I left the ferry boat business shortly thereafter.

    FALSE. While this really happened ... it happened to someone else. I was the oiler on the other ferry on that run, the MV Champlain, and I was up to my ass in alligators helping the deck crew take off some 143 passengers from the Valcour.

    3. My wife found me in an AOL chat room for adults and chatted me up because she was fascinated with something I'd mentioned in my AOL profile. Under 'favorite activities' I used to list “frog poaching,” among others. That got her attention!

    All TRUE. For those of you who knew me on AOL, look up the profile of my old screen name (olddog299). If it's still there, it'll list “frog poaching” under hobbies and interests.

How'd you do? Thanks to all who played along and left comments. You're the best.

No comments: