Thursday, October 16, 2003

Under God?

I grew up reciting the "Pledge of Allegience" without ever being forced to say "under God." Even today, when others around me recite with the recent addition of the phrase, I stand mute with my hand over my heart. And then I commence with "...indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all."

So why am I so disturbed by the U.S. Supreme Court agreeing to take on a review of the federal statute mandating the use of the aforementioned phrase? Is it because any right thinking American should already be aware that merely by legislating the phrase into the sanctioned version of the Pledge doesn't make it legal, in the constitutional sense?

I'm not at all sure why I am disturbed but disturbed I remain. What's your take on it?


This entry has 4 comments:
    my take is a bit different i am sure .. i grew up as a jehovahs witness and we weren't permitted to recite the pledge .. now, as an adult, i never pass up the chance .. whether the pledge is imperfect doesn't matter to me .. i can't think of anything that is so perfect that one size fits all .. what matters is what is in my heart .. whatever they decide won't effect me
    pamela (GirlsHeadNoise)
    Comment from his1desire - 10/17/03 7:59 AM

    I grew up saying "under God" so that sounds normal to me, but "under God" was not in the original "Pledge of Allegience" and so I have no problem with removing it.
    Comment from sk8rlew - 10/17/03 1:36 AM

    Did I hear on the news this morning that the "Under God" was actually added to the pledge back in the 50's? If that's true, I feel I've been betrayed, because I always thought that was the way it was WRITTEN and that's the way it should STAY! Personally, I'd hate to see the detriment of all religious mentions, but in order to be FAIR to ALL religions [and isn't that what our country was founded on? Religious freedom? Not just for Christians but for everyone?] we'll see more in the future.
    Comment from slowmotionlife - 10/17/03 12:15 AM

    I am with Madeline Murry O'Hare- religion doesn't belong in any form of gov't or in school. That is what churches and our homes are for. There are enough problems in our gov't without bringing "god" into it.
    Comment from maydeeday - 10/16/03 8:42 AM