Sunday, October 03, 2004

Sunday Brunch #87 - Horses


"A horse! a horse! my kingdom for a horse!"

-William Shakespeare

1) Have you ever ridden a horse?

Yes. I last rode about 30 years ago in the Cascades (Western Washington). I rode alot as an adolescent in Mexico - every other week or so.


2) What is your favorite horse story or movie?

The book My Friend Flicka which they made into a half-assed children’s movie a couple of years after it was first published.

<
My Friend Flicka - 1943
Posted by Hello
My Friend Flicka was part of a trilogy which included Thunderhead and Green Grass of Wyoming.


3) If you had the means, would you own a horse?

Probably. I’d have to move, though. The clay soil here is saturated most of the time and I’d hate to have an animal founder due to hoof rot or other, similar water-caused ailment.


4) Do you think it would be neat if we went back to everyone traveling by horse and buggy or just an inconvenience?

No, it would be a terrible inconvenience. Here in the North Country, a simple task requiring one to ride to town (roughly 15 miles roundtrip) would almost certainly result in a frozen appendage, despite precautions taken. It was expected. Horses routinely died during mid-winter trips. I prefer cars. Safer, quicker, warmer. Keep horses for recreation.


5) Have you ever ridden in a hansom cab?

If the open air carriages along Central Park in New York City and in downtown Atlanta count, then I have. Otherwise, I haven’t.


You can get a set of the Sunday Brunch questions for yourself. Don’t forget to post a link to your answers in the comments section.


Move ‘em out [whipcrack].


1 comment:

Wil said...

I had a real problem with #5, as a hansom cab is "A two-wheeled horse-drawn covered carriage with the driver's seat above and behind the passengers," not the four-wheeled, articulated carriage they "call" hansom cabs in NYC, Atlanta, etc.

Hansom cabs were lightly sprung, if at all, and often described as "necessary evils" or "an awful convenience" by those who had to use them.

Then again, there are many who claim I have a stick up my butt, too. :)

wil

http://dailysnooze.blogspot.com and http://journals.aol.com/olddog299/DailySnooze/