Monday, August 13, 2007

John M. Scalzi's Weekend Assignment #178: Cool Places


John was having a bad day: “Gaaaaaah! This is the third time I've started writing this entry. The first time, my computer crashed randomly. The second time I accidentally close the browser. I swear, if I somehow manage to mess this one up before posting, I will strangle my cat. Because I'm sure it's her fault somehow.”

“Okay, weekend assignment.”

Weekend Assignment #178: It's hot. Everywhere. Really hot. Counteract it with a cool and refreshing photo or story of winter. Yes, we've done something like this before. And, if you recall, it worked. Also, it's easy and it's too hot to do anything complicated. So let's do it again (just, you know, don't reuse stuff that you've already posted along this line before).

Extra Credit: Would you rather be too hot or too cold?


Dear John,


Sorry to hear about the invasion of the imps from the eleventh ring of Hades. They have a particularly voracious appetite for the bits and bytes found in computers. And so it goes.


Here, too, it has been hot. Damn hot. Hot enough to make me feel ill hot. But it's worse where my Uncle is in Maryland, 102° F. next to Chesapeake Bay! That's bloody hot, considering with the humidity it was something like 120° F. on the heat index.


I suppose, at times like this, that counting our blessings is appropriate. It may be hot, but I don't have to shovel it:






The dog doesn't have to unearth her stick in the snow:




And there's very little risk of this sort of thing happening:




Well, give my best to Krissy and Athena. Hope they found a way to beat the heat that didn't involve fanning you, too. Me, I'd rather be too hot than too cold, I guess. Then there's always the chance of stripping down to my skivvies to cool off, without the threat of freezing to death.


wil