More car troubles this week for Patrick:
To those who have been eagerly awaiting the appearance of this week’s questions, I offer my sincere apologies. It would seem that the car isn’t entirely finished with its “technical difficulties,” and a good portion of the afternoon was spent dealing with this problem.
Before this week’s questions, Otowi of “Otowi” was first to play last week for the second week in a row. Congratulations!
Here are this week’s “Saturday Six” questions. Either answer the questions in a comment here, or put the answers in an entry on your journal…but either way, leave a link to your journal so that everyone else can visit! To be counted as “first to play,” you must be the first player to either answer the questions in a comment or to provide a complete link to the specific entry in your journal in which you answer the questions. A link to your journal in general cannot count. Enjoy!
1. Considering all possible factors about a person that make us different, like age, appearance, religion, race, origin, sexual preference, etc., with 10 being the most prejudiced and 1 being the least, how do you think you would rate yourself?
I'm about a nine.
2. You’re having a problem with a product or service and you call customer service. You are finally connected with someone who has a thick accent that sounds difficult to understand. What is the first thing that goes through your mind?
Damn company is too bloody cheap to pay for good help who speak the Queen's English ... damned Yanks, anyway.
3. A co-worker you like tells you that his or her church is holding an “open house” and is encouraging people of other faiths to visit. You and your co-worker are of different faiths. How likely would you be to attend?
No way ... as I am an agnostic atheist, there won't be any church visiting in my life. I rarely go to funerals and weddings due to the religious malarkey that often is imposed upon the attendees.
4. Take the quiz: Are you prejudiced?
Totally inadequate quiz. First, the result:
You Are Not Prejudiced
Not only are you color blind, but you're also ethnicity blind, gender blind, and sexual orientation blind.
Not one question asked about religion or philosophy. Had there been even one, I'd go zooming off the chart as a rabid, foaming, profoundly prejudiced against all things religious. Short-sighted git that wrote THAT quiz, eh?
No, I really could not care any less about one's race, accent, dating habits, sexual orientation (pro, con, asexual, swinger – who cares?) But I'm a bull with the red flag of religion. Believe what you want, but keep your mouth shut and DO NOT ACT ON ANY OF THE TENETS OF YOUR RELIGION IN MY PRESENCE.
I just might shoot your ass if you try. And that, my friends, is why I gave myself the rating I did in question 1.
5. You lose a big promotion to someone who you considered to be less qualified than you are, despite the fact that you are only going by instinct in making that determination. If your boss later pulls you aside and explains that because of a growing effort to promote diversity, the other person was selected over you. What would your first reaction likely be?
Fine, but did it have to be at MY expense?
6. Your car breaks down in a neighborhood in which everyone is of a different race than you: are you more likely to be uncomfortable?
Depends – can they fix my car? Or am I going to have to walk my tired ass some 25 blocks to a Mexican mechanic who can? ;)