Tuesday, December 06, 2005

MEME: Tuesday Two - Episode 9

Tuesday, December 06, 2005



For those who have never played, the rules are simple: {Patrick} offers two different questions, both related to the same topic, but you only choose one of them to actually answer.

Last week, Jamilyn of "Quiz Me: Jamilyn's Quiz Central" was first to answer the question about "Charity." Congratulations, Jamilyn.

Now, onto this week's choice of questions. And remember: don't answer both questions! You'll find out why next week!


THIS WEEK'S TOPIC: THE FUTURE

QUESTION A:
You are given the chance to open one of three envelopes. The first, labeled "WHEN," will reveal the exact date and time of your death; the second, labeled "HOW," will reveal the method of your demise, and the third, marked "VALUE," would reveal how much or how little you will be remembered after you're gone. If you had to select and read the contents of one of the envelopes, which would you choose and why?

or

QUESTION B:
You receive an email that is sent to you from yourself 10 years in the future. After reading the first paragraph, you recognize your distinctive style and there are enough authenticating details to eliminate any doubt but that the letter is -- somehow -- from your future self. The second paragraph indicates that there are three critical dates coming in the next ten years that you need to be aware of, so that you can make "better decisions" than the ones this future self made. If the scenarios described did NOT contain the actual decision this alternate you already made, but only focused on what conflict you'd be faced with so that you could have advance notice to think about how you might react, would you be willing to read about those three events?


For each pair, choose A or B, (indicate which question you're answering!) then either answer the question in a comment here or answer it in your journal and include the link in a comment. (To be considered "first to play," a link must be to the specific entry in which you answered the question.)

Remember: choose one or the other in each pair...not both!



I'll be answering the first question, thank you. One of Robert Heinlein's earliest stories concerned a seer who could do what you have asked. He could “see” the date, time and manner of your death. It was a good little story and I enjoyed it thoroughly as it served as fodder for an inner discussion (AKA “head noise”).

So yes, I would choose an envelope, specifically “WHEN.” I see no point in concerning myself with how the future views me. That's their problem, not mine. I don't particularly care to know the mechanism of my death, although the larcenist in me would stick it to a life insurance company in a heartbeat for a big payout. But the date and time could be a useful estate planning tool. While I'm attached to living, I also know that life comes to an end with amazing regularity. As an organism in the general scheme of things I have been highly unsuccessful as I consciously chose to not replicate myself or to provide for the continuation of my genes – the sole purpose of life at its most elemental. But, I am married and the sentimental portion of my mind would like to assure myself I have made adequate provisions for the continued care and support of my wife after I shuffle off this mortal coil. If I knew when, I could assure myself that all was ready for her future without me.

Keep the faith and mind the creek don't rise. Look on the bright side – Wednesday is hump day. You know what THAT means, don't you? Somewhere, a bunch of employees are humping in the back room...

And so it goes.

No comments: