Sunday, March 05, 2006

Meme: Weekend Assignment #101

Weekend Assignment #101: Very Hidden Talents

Here's a fun and simple topic for this week's Weekend Assignment:

Weekend Assignment #101: Name a talent that you don't have that you wish you did. This can also include talents you have a little bit of, but wish you had more.

Extra credit: Do you have any completely useless talents?



Dear John,

I've discussed in other editions of the Weekend Assignment talents I wish I possessed. Skill with paint, drawing, music, piano, guitar, hornpipe, mandolin. You get the idea. I played saxophone in Jr. High. I can't draw my way out of a wet paper bag. So enough about those.

A hidden talent I'd like to possess would be facility with auto body work. This is another aspect of the arts that I have no talent for, but I am constantly in need of, given the mega-tonnes of calcium chloride we put on the roads here as a deicing agent. I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time, until they no longer have a prayer of passing inspection due to rust. I prolong this agony by being a fairly decent mechanic when I put my mind to it. But I am ham-fisted when it comes to finessing Bondo and paint to look even remotely like the original finish. I end up with a mess and the body shop guys tear it all out and start anew. But still, it's one of those things I wish I could do well.

That's all for this week. Am mostly hunkered down, trying to stay warm. Spring is still a long ways away in these parts. Love on your women for me and try to meet that deadline, right?

Wil

P.S. Completely useless talents? Well, I suspect blowing bubbles with bubble gum would qualify...

No comments: