Monday, June 25, 2007

MEME: Monday Music Mambo – Closing Time



Here's a stretch. Lacking sufficient fodder, Rfduck has this to say, “Hello mamboers! Today is Leon Day. The only musical Leon I know of is Leonard Cohen.” Obviously, he's never heard of Leon Redbone,the most famous non-famous American musician of the 20th Century.

Name your favorite Leonard Cohen song.”

“And, to make the meme longer, name a few songs you've been loving a lot recently.”

Okay then, buckaroos. This is actually tougher than you'd think. I listen to Leonard Cohen a lot. There are a whole lot of songs to choose from. According to the meager stats provided by my Windows Media Player, I have only 11 albums by Leonard Cohen, totalling 92 songs. I listen to them all an average of once a month. Some get more ear time than others. But picking just one? Bastard!

Alright, after careful deliberation, a reading of the tea leaves and a throw of the I Ching I've made my choice. It's “Closing Time” from the 1992 album The Future

We're drinking and we're dancing
but there's nothing really happening
and the place is dead as Heaven on a Saturday night
And my very close companion
gets me fumbling, gets me laughing
she's a hundred but she's wearing something tight
And I lift my glass to the Awful Truth
which you can't reveal to the Ears of Youth
except to say it isn't worth a dime
And the whole damn place goes crazy twice
and it's once for the Devil and it's once for Christ
but the Boss don't like these dizzy heights --
we're busted in the blinding lights
of closing time”

Copyright © Leonard Cohen
and Sony/ATV Music Publishing Canada Company Partial lyrics shown for education purposes under the “Fair Use” provisions of the Copyright Act.

But that's not all our mememeister asks of us. Oh, no, he wants more tunes we've been cannoodling to, too. OK, buster, you asked for it:


WolfstoneGlenglass

Loreena McKennittTango to Evora

Silly WizardThe Wind That Shakes The Barley/The Ale Is Dear

Alan StivellBrian Boru

SkildaAN NIGHEAN DUBH

The BandI Shall Be Released

CeltusStrange Day in the Country

Loreena McKennittSkelling

GregorianSo Sad

DagdaCriost Liom



There you have it for this week's Mambo. Hope you enjoyed it. A clean copy of the questions may be obtained over at the Mambo Headquarters and Lending Library if you'd like them.

By the way, does anyone know why the “scrobbing” feature of Last.FM doesn't register the music I listen to via the Windows Media Player?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Wil, I like your choice of song! Thanks for sharing! :) I've never really listened to much Leonard Cohen but I do see I've been missing something good! :)

Re: Last.FM...everyone is having scrobble problems! We've had big chunks of time with no scrobbling at all and other times with limited scrobbling. They're experiencing technical difficulties big time and apparently do know about it.

Hang in there!:)

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

Wow... looks like you enjoy your Leonard Cohen! Good on ya! \o/ Thanks for Mamboing too.
Cyalayta
Mal :)

Russ said...

Thanks for mamboing! Looks like you've been in a Celtic mood lately. Guess what? So have I.