Thursday, June 14, 2007

MEME: Wednesday Mind Hump – KK, OK!


RFDuck took a moment from his busy schedule to say, “Greetings, humpers! Today is Kitchen Klutzes Of America Day. That means we'll be talking about all the things that can go wrong in the good ol' kitchen.”

1. Have you ever cut or burned yourself while cooking?
Oh yeah, and I have the minor scars to prove it. Worst one occurred while slicing a tomato with a new knife while camping in the Tetons. Sliced myself to the bone on the side of the first joint of my left thumb. Staunching the blood with a pressure bandage was only partially working. I ended up driving the 25 miles to the Jackson Hole hospital with my hand out the window, dripping the blood. Took three stitches ... and three quarters at the car wash to get everything cleaned up!
2. Have you ever put in a wrong ingredient in a dish (sugar instead of salt, for example)?
Yes. Usually salvageable but not always. These days mostly a case of too much of something as I taste things like white crystalline substances before pouring them in.
3. Have you ever dropped, or otherwise ruined, a dish just before serving it? Bonus points if you had a large number of people waiting to eat it.
Just last week, in fact. Had a lovely tuna salad on a bed of lettuce for lunch slip right out of my hand and onto the floor. The dog and cats were ecstatic...
4. In case you aren't a cook - Have you ever had a restaurant make a klutzy move that affected your meal? Tell us about it!
I once had a bit of a fumbling problem. It was a Saturday night, things were hopping and I seem to have lost all motor coordination. I plated this 16 ounce Sirloin along with the steamed whole Maine lobster and swung around with it to put the platter under the heat lamps. My bosses were walking by the counter at the time. He received the steak on the front of his starched tux shirt; she got the lobster in her cleavage and the melted butter in her hair. I got fired. The customer had to wait for the owner to change out of his tux so he could take over my station. I still laugh about it whenever I see a short, busty woman with a long dress and décolletage...

No comments: