Sunday, September 16, 2007

MEME: Saturday Six - Episode 178

And you thought I had forgotten, didn’t you!

Actually, a bad experience at a restaurant earlier this week ended up inspiring the theme of this week’s questions. I’ll give you specifics of the bad experience in the next post.

Before this week’s questions, my friend Rick of “Mmmm, That’s Good Coffee…” was first to play last week. Congratulations, Rick!

Here are this week’s “Saturday Six” questions. Either answer the questions in a comment here, or put the answers in an entry on your journal…but either way, leave a link to your journal so that everyone else can visit! To be counted as “first to play,” you must be the first player to either answer the questions in a comment or to provide a complete link to the specific entry in your journal in which you answer the questions. A link to your journal in general cannot count. Enjoy!

1. As a general rule, how much of a tip do you leave on a normal night of satisfactory service at a restaurant? 15% is where I start. Exceptional food (split tips and yes, I ask) or service will get more.

2. What happens when the service and/or the food is completely unacceptable: how much of an impact does that have on your tip? If it is the service that was unacceptable or slow or inept then the tip is adjusted accordingly. If it was the food that was at fault, I take that up with management. Failure to receive satisfaction is noted in any review I may write about the restaurant. That is usually significant enough to get the management's attention. As you know, Bob Barker was a user and admirer of my reviews, Patrick.

3. What was the last food you picked up from a restaurant and ate at home? Indian spicy/hot lamb curry.

4. Take the quiz: What’s your pizza personality? Stupid quiz alert. If choosing the crust as the most important part, the city of choice was NYC and the fact that I buy my pizza at an old fashioned, indepedently owned pizza shop produces this kind of answer (below), we're all screwed.


Veggie Pizza

Upscale and trendy.
You're the most likely to go for a gourmet pizza.
You have impeccable taste in everything.
You truly enjoy the finer things in life.

What's Your Pizza Personality?



5. What was the last dish you tried to cook yourself based on a dish you sampled at a restaurant? I really don't remember. I think it was philly cheese steak with mushrooms, onions and green peppers. My wife loved it. I am picky about cheese and Velveeta was never a favorite.

6. How close to the original recipe did yours get? It tasted similar to what passes for “cheese steak” around here but I just can't get the kind of beef they use in Philly for these sandwiches up here so I used sirloin flap steak, sliced thin. It was passable – then again, it's been almost 35 years since I had a true Philly Cheese Steak. Time dims the taste bud's memory.


No comments: