Friday, November 11, 2005

MEME: Weekend Assignment #85

Weekend Assignment #85: Magazines, Anyone?

After taxing your brains a bit with last week's assignment, I thought we'd do a pretty easy this week, with a subject that came to me as I was sorting out my recycling:

Weekend Assignment #85: What magazines do you subscribe to and why? This assumes you currently subscribe to a magazine or two, of course, but I'm reasonably confident most of us do. If you don't have any current subscriptions, however, you can list some of your most recent subscriptions or magazines you want to subscribe to.

Extra Credit: What was your first magazine subscription?

Dear John,

What a nosy fellow! Magazine subscriptions ... who'd of thought you were “curious inky”? As it happens, I currently have only two magazine subscriptions.

Sea Kayaker: I got this for xmas from the wife last year, after requesting same for three years running. It's focus is on the less frenzied form of kayaking, sea or coastal kayaking, gear reviews and my favorite, the Monday Morning Quarterbacking of fatal accidents for lessons to be learned. Ghoulish, perhaps, but there is nothing better than learning from others' mistakes with the aim to avoid repetition. Short of getting out there yourself and forgetting your dry suit in a full gale, learning by the death of a fellow paddler is probably the next most memorable method of indoctrination in the basics that spell the difference between life and death.

Sleep Review: This is a trade publication with a primary focus on growing your sleep lab practice. It's secondary focus is on methods and materials of relieving the various ills those with sleep illnesses are prone (heheh – pun intended) to experiencing. A little something my dead brother signed me up for that keeps coming and coming.

Yankee: This is actually the property of SWMBO and woe betide me if I mess around with the latest issue before she does! Death is threatened, I tell you. Death!

While I (we) have subscribed to many magazines over the years, those are the ones we're currently subscribed to. I wouldn't be surprised, if asked again a year from now, to report an entirely different magazine mix or, perhaps, none at all if the economy worsens...

Give our best to the women who own you and strive to have a happy Thanksgiving and a jolly good xmas time.

Wil

PS. This Boy's Life was my first subscription. It was a folio sized monthly with an emphasis on Boy Scouting, I think. Childhood memories are deep in the past and often subject to sloppy seconds in the recall department, so don't hold me to any of that info, if you please.

For those of you seeing this for the first time, AOL's blogfather and resident science fiction author, John M Scalzi, posts a question each week to get the creative juices flowing. Think of it as “Writers Block Antidote” and proceed accordingly. All John asks of you in return is a link in the comments at his blog, By The Way back to your answer. That's not too difficult nor time-consuming, is it? Besides, you know that carbuncle on the back of your head? It will fall off the next time you fall asleep if you do as requested...



No comments: