Thursday, April 27, 2006

John Scalzi's Weekend Assignment #109: Your New Music

Weekend Assignment: What are some of the most recent music albums you have bought? Name up to three. Note that I said "bought" -- I want to know what music you've liked so much that you've actually shelled out cash for them.

Extra Credit: Did you buy these albums on CD, or did you get them online through iTunes or another music service?

Well, these are all new to me and constitute my most recent purchases of music, John:

  • Tone Poems: The Sounds of the Great Vintage Guitars & Mandolins -- David Grisman and Tony Rice, Acoustic Disk ACD-10

  • Our Maine Songs – Schooner Faire, Outer Green Records OGR8945D

  • American IV: The Man Comes Around – Johnny Cash, American Recordings 440 063 339-2



All were purchased as individual CD's, one was purchased used at Bull Moose Music in Bangor, Maine. I haven't succumbed to Apple-mania and have so far managed to avoid purchasing an iPod. All were the result of hearing cuts from them on the best online adult “radio” station, bar none, Radio Paradise.

I do not purchase music via download as I have a real problem with the music licensing issues and simply put, won't support the music industry's attempts to castrate its customers. I paid for my music – it is mine to listen to or view via whatever media or medium I choose. If I want to listen to one of my CD's on my computer – that is my choice, and not subject to further review by the RIAA or Sony Music. I don't share my music via streaming, Napster or making mix CD's. But if I want to make a working copy so the original CD may be archived, that is “fair use” in my book and I will continue that use as long as I am able to draw a breath. Any attempt by the music “industry” to preempt that right and I just might make my displeasure known by “termination with extreme prejudice.”

But that's a rant for another day. Take good care of the ankle-biter and your loverly spousal unit. Breathe deep the gathering gloom and write!

wil

No comments: