Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Tuesday Two - Episode 26



Sometimes it would be so much easier -- or at least it seems like it would be -- if we could just read each other's minds. That way, there would be no possibility of deceit. But would it be worth it? That'll get you thinking about this week's question.

For those who have never played, the rules are simple: I offer two different questions, both related to the same topic, but you only choose one of them to actually answer.


Charley, a man I've found to be of great courage, who happens to write a blog called "Courage" was first to answer last week's question about mail. This was his second week in a row at being first to play the Tuesday Two. Congratulations, Charley!

Now, onto this week's choice of questions. And remember: don't answer both questions!


THIS WEEK'S TOPIC: MIND READING

QUESTION A:
You are given the choice of whether or not you'd like to gain the ability to read minds. There is one catch: once you possess this gift, you cannot shut it off: you will always be able to read minds of those around you. Would you accept the gift? Why or why not?

or

QUESTION B:
If you could explore the mind of one person close to you and gain their thoughts or opinions about any particular thing, what person would you choose, and why?

Choose A or B, (indicate which question you're answering!) then either answer the question in a comment or answer it in your journal and include the link in a comment. (To be considered "first to play," a link must be to the specific entry in which you answered the question.)

Remember: choose one or the other...not both!


My answer to A appears below.


Generally, I would not chose to be able to read anyone else's mind, as the burden of everyone's thoughts being available to me, unbidden, would soon drive me and you, stark raving mad. There is a special situation where I would, reluctantly, accept the gift of mind reading. That would be if my wife were stricken by stroke and thus, unable to speak intelligibly. Then, and only then, I suspect, I could see myself accepting the ability to read minds, with the knowledge it would be a temporary measure to aid my wife's transition. As soon as I would be able, I'd end my own life, rather than voluntarily go insane.

No comments: