Saturday, July 01, 2006

Happy Dominion Day

Yea, yea, I know, they changed it to “Canada Day” back in '82 or some such. Damn Liberals. And Tories. And Social Democrats. And the freaking “Aboriginal Peoples” too (now there's a back-handed compliment if I ever heard one). Bite me – I grew up with Dominion Day; my mother, bless her pointed little Canadian sole, er, soul (?), only celebrated Dominion Day and that's what she taught us to celebrate. So there! Rzzzzzt!

Anyway, just taking a moment to thank the PTB's (Powers That Be – blame Anne McCaffrey) for another successful year avoiding dissolution of the dominion. Seeing as I am situated smack in the middle between the Quebecois and the Acadians of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Rest assured, if them Frenchy types get to seceding from the Union, They'll be looking to annex themselves to “Atlantic Canada”, dragging Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire right along with them. Oh, there'll be kicking and screaming to be sure. But what are you going to do? Quebec supplies almost a third of our electric power, New Brunswick another ten percent or so. Geographically, it's manifest destiny; politically, we're on Georgie Porgie's shit list, so we don't expect much help from that quarter.

So happy birthday to my northern brethren and sisteren. Or is that cistern?

No comments: