Monday, December 18, 2006

MEME: Monday Music Mambo – Week Umpty-ump minus one

Rfduck sent this dispatch from Mamboville (turn left at the sign for the North Pole and then on until midnight) "Christmas will be here in one week! This week's mambo will be about Christmas music. I'll put up an additional question for those who don't celebrate Christmas."

1. What are your favorite Christmas songs?
Good King Wenceslas (Duke of Bohemia who encouraged Christianization and was martyred by his brother Boleslav. He is popularly associated with Christmastide charity and is the patron saint of Bohemia), Deck The Halls, Jingle Bells, Silent Night -- your basic “classics”.
2. What Christmas song do you dislike?
I recently discussed that here.
3. Do you prefer Christmas carols, classics or new interpretations?
None of the above. Not being a Christian, my general response is “Eh!?!” to the whole issue of Christmas music. These days, I can stay in my own little musical cocoon by sticking with routine, listening to local public radio offerings in the car and Radio Paradise when working at the desktop.

And a question for everyone:

4. Was this a good musical year for you? What were your favorite purchases/downloads/new discoveries? Not a bad year from my POV, musically. There were several “finds” for me this year. Biggest Earworm Award goes to Gnarls Barkley's breakout, cross-platform, cross-generational hit Crazy from the St. Elsewhere album. The reproduction of a number of Beatles tunes for the Cirque d' Soleil, currently in performance, is the kick ass album Love. I also fell in love with Bob Dylan's Modern Times album, and I am absolutely smitten with Leonard Cohen's Dear Heather album, just to name a few...

No comments: