Monday, December 11, 2006

A Modest Proposal



This struck a cord when I first read it this weekend, as I have been a pall bearer in the past and have come away annoyed at the sad picture presented by men with two left feet stumbling along, unable to decide which hand to hold the casket with, always out of step with the others on their side. Then there's sometimes me -- the Mutt in the Mutt and Jeff routine as I am all of 5'8" on good days and have in-laws and stepsons who range from about 6'-0" to scraping the ceiling with their mohawks!

I remember how impressive a military honor guard was when they buried friends from the Vietnam War and how startled I was by the precision of a firefighters' parade unit performing this honor at a funeral for a man lost his life to our common enemy of the day, fire.

Now that it has bounced around my head a day, I see even more merit in this modest proposal by the oh-so-intelligent Og of Neanderthal (the blog) fame. And, it's a sad state of affairs that I am past the age where my help is even asked for when the subject comes up...

Neanderpundit » It’s settled, then.

No comments: