Sunday, July 22, 2007

MEME: Saturday Six - Episode 170 - School Daze

Patrick has a new pet peeve this week:

“The annoying emails from services like Classmates.com, which seemed like such a good idea when I first signed up, still come in. “Hey, Patrick, 7 new people did searches for your name.” “Hey, Patrick, 3 new people signed up from your graduating class.”

Of course, the people who searched for my name were looking for a different Patrick, and the 3 new people who signed up as being part of my class are people I’ve never heard of. And I venture to guess that if I break out the old yearbooks, there’d be no mention of them.

And I can’t find out any specifics without paying their monthly membership fee, which is outrageous for what you get.

Anyway, as you might have guessed, this week’s questions may have something to do with high school.

But first, Otowi of “Otowi” was first to play last week. Congratulations!

Here are this week’s “Saturday Six” questions. Either answer the questions in a comment here, or put the answers in an entry on your journal…but either way, leave a link to your journal so that everyone else can visit! To be counted as “first to play,” you must be the first player to either answer the questions in a comment or to provide a complete link to the specific entry in your journal in which you answer the questions. A link to your journal in general cannot count. Enjoy!”


1. Think about your best friend in high school: how long has it been since you’ve seen him? I think it was 1978 or so. Can't really recall at this point. I recently got back in touch via email.

2. Think of the last time you saw more than one of your high school classmates together at the same time: how did you happen to run into each other? Since I left after graduation, that has never happened. I don't travel in the same social or economic circles they tend to be in.

3. How many of your teachers do you think you would love to visit in person after all the years since you graduated, just to talk about having them as a teacher and catch up: one or two, three to five, five to ten, or more than ten? None. The only teacher I had any feelings for passed away many years ago.

4. Take the quiz: Could you pass high school? These days? I'd probably squeak by. It's been a long time, so I'd want to bone up for the GED before taking it. The quiz, not a representative group of questions, thinks I'd do alright. For the record, I average a B- in my senior year. Not so good, prior to that. I was never a big fan of academia. I could do the work, for the most part, but only excelled when I was truly interested in the subject matter.

You Passed High School with an B

You have the brains of a high school graduate... at least!

Could You Pass High School?



5. What was the best lunch food your high school served? I was fond of their Swiss Steak with onions, gravy and mashed potatoes.

6. Did you participate in any extra-curricular activities in high school, like sports, band, etc? If so, how many? A few, I was on the newspaper, the yearbook, camera club, and I played soccer for a short while until injured. We didn't have a band and I was never an athlete nor all that competitive, truth be told.

2 comments:

ShellyS said...

Well, my best friend in high school tracked me down... we'd been friends through college, up to her marriage. She found me online, but not through Classmates. The thrill was gone.

I did find one of my two friends from grade school (she'd moved after 6th grade, 1965), through Classmates, and yes, I paid for a 3-month membership to be able to read her message. We got together for lunch and it was like the last 42 years melted away. So I won't knock them.

As for teachers, there are lots I'd love to see again, mostly from grade school, but I'm sure a lot of them are elderly or gone now. My favorite teacher from junior high died while I was in high school.

Janet said...

1. Think about your best friend in high school: how long has it been since you’ve seen him? Tuesday night when we went to see Hairspray...wicked funny movie!

2. Think of the last time you saw more than one of your high school classmates together at the same time: how did you happen to run into each other? At the 10th reunion, never been to one since.

3. How many of your teachers do you think you would love to visit in person after all the years since you graduated, just to talk about having them as a teacher and catch up: None.

Says I'd fail...but doesn't say why!

5. What was the best lunch food your high school served? Um...none?

6. Did you participate in any extra-curricular activities in high school, like sports, band, etc? If so, how many? hahaha yeah i participated in extra-curricular activies, all right, which is why I didn't pass the test...they weren't exactly school-sanctioned activities, wink wink nod nod ;-)