Wednesday, July 04, 2007

MEME: Wednesday Mind Hump - Independence Day Edition


Mr. RFDuck had this to say, “Hello everyone! Happy 4th, to all my American readers. Happy Wednesday to all my non-American readers. Today's Mind Hump is all about America.”


FIRST, a note – unless one is talking about ALL of North, Central and South America, it is improper and insulting to use the term “America” to apply to only the United States of America. Fuck political correctness; it's just wrong. Sadly, referring to the country as only the “United States” is incorrect, too – Mexico's full name translates as “The United States of Mexico.” I urge you all to stick to USA or “Yanks” when talking about this country – anything else sounds stupid, in my opinion.


1. Which historical American figure would you most like to be for a day - George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, or Thomas Jefferson?
Benjamin Franklin, no question – a sybarite in his later life, a man after my own heart.
2. America was born partly with the help of the Declaration of Independence. Now, in 2007, make your own declaration right here.
I am no Thomas Jefferson; I wouldn't presume to attempt to craft such a document for a three minute throw-away entry in a meme. Have some respect, folks.
3. To sidetrack from the American theme a bit - Great Britain lost 13 colonies, but there are surely things that can make up for that loss. Name something about Britain that you admire or enjoy.
Simply put, endurance. Despite all that has befallen Great Britain, it persists.
4. Ok, back to America - what do YOU love about America?
The cockeyed optimism of some. The deep love of country in others. It's physical and cultural diversity. That's what I love about these United States of America.

You can get a clean copy of this week's Mind Hump questions by clicking the banner above.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love learning new words....>Sybarite! I heartily agree! :)

Zoooma said...

Universally, almost, the game where people kick a round white ball for two 45 minute halves, trying to get the ball into a goal without using hands, that's football. Universally, almost, America means us right here in the United States.

From Australia to Tanzania to Moscow and Siberia, even in Ecuador and Peru, I've met people who've been excited to talk to me because I'm from America, meaning U.S.A. People often spoke about wanting to go to America someday, meaning the U.S.A.

So the notion that we should not be referring to our country as America seems kinda, well, odd to me.

Gahhhhhhhhhd Bless Americaaaa, land that I love. Stand beside her, and guide her, yada yada, blah blah, yada yada. From Katahdin, through the prairie, to Denali, at twenty three twenty. Gahhhhhhhd Bless America, My Home Sweet Home.