Sunday, April 15, 2007

Saturday Six - Episode 157



I'll start this week's edition with a bit of math: if you figure that there are 52 weeks in a year, three years would be equal to 156. Since this is the 157th edition of the Saturday Six, this happens also to be the first episode of the fourth year of this modest little meme. So this week, I'll bring back the ever popular Reader's Choice Question: all of the questions asked this week come from players of a March edition of the Sunday Seven.

But first, it was Otowi of "Otowi" who was first to play last week's edition. Congratulations, Otowi!

Here are this week's "Saturday Six" questions. Either answer the questions in a comment here, or put the answers in an entry on your journal...but either way, leave a link to your journal so that everyone else can visit! To be counted as "first to play," you must be the first player to either answer the questions in a comment or to provide a complete link to the specific entry in your journal in which you answer the questions. A link to your journal in general cannot count. Enjoy!

1. READER'S CHOICE QUESTION #90 from Remo: In the event of a disaster or act of disorder, are you currently prepared to remain self-sufficient for a day, a week, or a month until measures could be taken to restore order and services?
Not really, anymore, although at one time it would have been quite possible... Now I am dependent on foreign oil for heat and transportation, I no longer garden or raise food animals either. So, I have on hand food sufficient to last for several weeks, but the absence of heat would become an issue fairly soon (it's 28° F. outside right now, so yes, heat is still an issue). Water is available in the stream, but I am no longer physically able to haul it. Loss of power translates to no water. We'd be able to get by awhile on the water in the hot water tank, but probably not a week. My, how the mighty have fallen...
2. READER'S CHOICE QUESTION #91 from Frida: Feng shui: Totally serious, totally crapola, or just another cool way to get redecorating ideas?
Total crapola as far as I am concerned. However, there's nothing wrong with decorating to reduce stress and increase the sense of well being. But really now, this whole thing has become something of a religion for some and that is too extreme. I haven't any room for extremists in my life – I have Remo for that.
3. READER'S CHOICE QUESTION #92 from Call Me Betty: Do you feel comfortable being yourself in public or do you feel you have to hide certain aspects of your personality?
Unless I have gotten to know you, you don't see the real me – I am very vigilant in public. In private I am comatose.
4. READER'S CHOICE QUESTION #93 from Wil: Name your favorite flower to appear in the Spring around you?
Jonquils and daffodils are mine. I even named a dog after Jonquils, once upon a time.
5. READER'S CHOICE QUESTION #94 from Cat.: From this list, are there any places you would never travel.
I doubt that I'd ever bring myself to travel to Saudi Arabia anytime in the near future. Too risky for Yanks at this point, no matter what assurances the Sheiks may offer; that country is ready to explode and Yanks are a major target throughout the Middle East at this point. I'd risk Egypt as they have internalized the notion that Western tourist dollars are what keeps the economy flowing. Some of the venues aren't high on my list of places I want to visit, but that still wouldn't keep me from visiting them if given the chance.
6. READER'S CHOICE QUESTION #95 from Kathy: Who is your favorite [motion picture] director?
Martin Scorsese is my favorite right now. Although, I really hate to admit it, but I really liked Quentin Tarrantino's work with the Kill Bill movies.
If you asked a question and didn't see your name on the list, it doesn't mean I didn't like your question! It will be asked in a future edition. And if you have a Reader's Choice question you'd like to see asked (and answered), send me an email! I'd love to be able to include it in a future edition of the Saturday Six.


No comments: